Although much of my Web-Dev work has been focused on the Node.js platform and React, a static site generator has proven to be the best tool for this purpose
- HTML generated from Markdown
- No back-end compute power required for on-the-fly HTML generation (re Node.js)
- Content hosted at no cost on GitLab Pages
- CI/CD pipeline (courtesy of GitLab) means content generation and deployment at the convenience of a pushed commit
- Eschew the tedium of CSS
- Hugo dev server (hugo server -D) allows rendering immediate updates to the DOM as you edit
I have been, frankly, dissatisfied with the quality of dev servers offered by similar projects such as Gatsby Not the case with Hugo - on the basis of stability and responsiveness, I believe it is only surpassed by Webpack HMR.
I recommend checking out the Hugo GitLab project to get started.