React Native is a technology that makes it possible to create apps that work on multiple platforms, such as Android and iOS.
- Created by Facebook.
- Write one app that works on both iOS and Android.
- Groundswell of support. Find solutions to common problems easily.
- Open source - broad ecosystem & robust community
- React Native is used internally by Facebook, so we can rest assured that it will continue to be well-supported in the future.
- Minor differences between the Android and iOS platforms may require redress.
- Inherently asynchronous.
- Many native device features require 3rd party packages.
- Fast moving target - still in active development, monthly new versions frequently include breaking changes.
- React Native acts as a bridge between JS and native platform code, so it’s not as efficient as native apps written with Java (Android), or Swift / Objective-C (iOS).
What is a React Native app?
Although based on the React framework of web-development fame, React Native apps are NOT web-apps or websites. This is because the UI components are expressed by native platform code. React Native allows us to build something similar to a React.js web app, but essentially replaces the React’s HTML DOM with native UI components.
npx --package react-native-cli react-native